Version(s): 8.0, 7.0, 6.1, 6.0
Last Modified Date: 21 Mar 2013
Create a parameter
Open a new workbook and connect to Superstore.
In the Measures pane, right-click the Sales field and select Create Parameter.
In the Create Parameter dialog box do the following tasks:
- In the Name text box, type Sales Goal.
- Click Comment and type a comment about this parameter. Format the comment as appropriate.
- Under Properties, in the Data type list, select the appropriate data type.
- If Range is pre-selected as the Allowable Values setting, you need to define the Range of values before you set the Current value.
- Under Range of values, set the minimum as the number you are replacing with a parameter, set an appropriate maximum, and the increment by which you want ton change the value of the parameter.
- If the Current value text box did not automatically populate with the value you set in the Minimum text box, type the number.
- In the Display format list, select the format for the parameter.
- When finished, click OK.
Create a calculated field that uses a parameter
Select Analysis > Create Calculated Field.
In the Calculated Field dialog box, make the following selections to create this formula:
IF SUM([Sales]) <= 500000 THEN "FALSE" ELSE "TRUE" END
- In the Name text box, type Sales Results.
- Click the Formula text box.
- In the Functions list, double-click IF and SUM.
- In the Fields list, double-click Sales.
- Click outside the closing parenthesis, space, type <=, and space again.
- In the Parameters list, double-click Sales Goal.
- Add a space, and type THEN "FALSE" ELSE "TRUE" END
When finished, click OK.
Showing a parameter control
After you create a parameter, it appears at the bottom of the Data window in the Parameters section. This section appears in a workbook after you create a parameter.
Right-click the parameter in the Parameter pane of the Data window and select Show Parameter Control.
Drag the slider to reset the parameter, or click the arrows to increase or decrease it in the increments you specified for Step size in the dialog box.
Alternate Search Terms:parameter, calc, calculation